Friday, January 8, 2010

sleet?

So at Madison we only get a snow day once every 50 years or so and that’s only when there is about 3 feet of snow predicted. In Aix the students get off for two days because of the threat of a couple centimeters! It was all over the news last night about how it had snowed in Paris and Avignon. The weather predicted 4 centimeters for Aix. Last night it sleeted but that was it… woke up this morning to no snow just some really cold rain. All the students are really happy though because they are in the middle of their first semester exams!

I’m slowly adjusting to life here. That first night was really hard because I was so tired so I didn’t really participate at dinner very much. I slept like a rock and the next day I was ready to begin using my French. My host family is really nice- I’ve already started to think of the lady as my host grandma. She’s very easy to talk to and really encourages me to use my French. I don’t feel bad asking her for the word im looking for either. She told me to make myself at home like I would at my own grandma’s house. The man is very quiet and when he is home sits and watches TV all the time. Outside the gate it says that he is a dentist although I don’t think I would want him to work on my teeth! He is very old and shaky. I have a really hard time understanding him because he mumbles a lot. I guess that will probably get better with time it’s just very difficult now. He also tends to say the most random things that sometimes don’t make much sense even if I did understand what he said.

Yesterday was the first day I really met the other program participants. Half of us went on a tour of the city in the morning then we had an orientation meeting in the afternoon. The tour was very informative about the different interesting or important areas of the city, but it was very winding and hard to follow exactly where we were. I think I’ll be using a map for a while at least. I live about 2 blocks from the “State Street” of Aix. It has a giant statue of the last king of Provence on one end and a giant fountain called the rotond on the other end. There are a bunch of shops, two movie theatres, and quite a few restaurants and bars. Luckily for the tour we had amazing weather; it was sunny and not too cold. I got to know quite a few of the other students as well and they all seem so nice!

After our tour a few of us went out to lunch at a pizza place that one of the guys had heard was really good. Then we had an orientation meeting and went to go get our cell phones. I got unlimited texting and next to no minutes although I can easily buy more minutes if I need to. It’s a 4 month plan and after that I’ll but a 2 month plan. In case any of you want to know my number is: 06 65 68 55 65. I get free incoming calls so if you want to talk to me J you can call me over skype for 2 cents a minute. Don’t leave a message though, I don’t know how to check it and don’t want to spend my minutes figuring out how to do it.

Last night I went with some of the others to check out an American bar called Wohoo (those of you who watch How I Met Your Mother will understand why I find this so hilarious). They play all the games from back in the states there so you know where I’ll be the night of the superbowl! (I believe is starts at 1 am here) Some of the guys and I already have plans to reserve a spot at the bar super early. It would have been an amazing night except for the fact that it was pouring rain, then sleeting, then pouring, then sleeting, etc. The weather was disgusting and my boots got completely soaked! I did have quite a bit of a walk, well at least comparatively because the city is so small and walkable!

Today I have my French placement test which I’m not so excited for. When I told my host grandma this she was like “Why? Your French is so good!” She says that grammar is hard for everyone, especially the French, but that won’t make my test any easier! Oh well, whatever happens, happens!

1 comment:

  1. so glad you're having a good time! i enjoy reading this :) i'm gonna make sure to find an american bar around where i'm staying for the superbowl, too! haha :D

    ReplyDelete